The school was originally opened in 1914 In St. Paul Park. It was later moved to Cottage Grove in 1965. An ice arena was added and attached to the school in 1974. It was later disconnected from the school. In 2010, the high school ice arena next to the school had construction which added a new entrance and another full sized rink for another, newly built high school in the area. In 2011, the building underwent construction which added a lecture hall and a new modern looking entrance. The school's original mascot was the Indians, but in the mid 1990s it was changed to the Wolfpack, to avoid any perception of insensitivity toward Native Americans. In 2018, it was decided by the district to remove the Indian Mascot that had been in the floor since the current building was opened in 1965.